Weather radios are known to be a sort of special devices that are purposely designed to obtain emergency alerts for a variety of life-threatening weather conditions like tsunamis, hurricanes, cyclones and other types of weather disasters. There is a broad range of such devices which is now available on the market. In addition, it is found with a number of functionalities as well as specifications and you can choose from diverse sizes and shapes. In actuality, it is very complex to choose the best among countless of options.
What are the crucial features that you must look into when buying one?
- Such devices are capable of obtaining NOAA or NWR weather radio signal which is primarily broadcasted during periods of emergency by the NOAA. Indeed, these commonly come in 2 classifications which are known as the weather alert radio and the weather band radio. Take note that prior buying one, you need to first think through what kind of this device you seriously require.
- When it comes to application, it is crucial to decide if you prefer to use the device outdoor, at home or in the workplace prior you buy the device. From there, it is a lot easier to choose which one best matches your preferences and current needs.
- If you are concerned about portability, the good news is that there a lot of pocket-sized weather radios which are lightweight and come in small sizes so transporting them isn’t an issue. For trekking or hiking purpose, portable ones are recommendable. Be reminded to always choose as per your requirements.
- Since it could surely be irking when the alarm is triggered in the midst of your resting period without any necessary reason, you can opt for the one that can be set to trigger merely when any serious and dangerous situation approaches. You can look for high-end options to alleviate this type of trouble.
- If you live in a region that is calamity-prone or where there is frequent power interruption, then it is best to go for the one that comes with a battery backup to keep it running and could at the same time run on AC power so you could possibly reserve batteries when AC power is reliable.
- Pick the one that is designed with an audible alarm tone. There are some that are purposely made with a single tone and some come with diverse tones for different alerts. Always check the audibility prior you buy it. The pitch of the alarm differs as per the devices.
- Needless to say, it is sensible to buy from a reputable brand to ensure durability and functionality. Aside from this, you must also pay attention to other extra specifications like tuning, mobile charger, special alert and lights.
It is imperative to understand that once you are already mindful about the distinction of the different kinds of weather radios, it certainly becomes less burdensome for you to come up with a final decision when buying one. Review the guide aforementioned and you will realize that your current needs as well as lifestyle are major contributing factors that shall help you decide without much struggle.